Hello! My name is Mark Haley. Aviator Studio is a build log site for my Radio Controlled Sailplanes.
Over the years I have benefitted greatly from those who have posted information about various aspects of the hobby, and I humbly offer this website to add to that body of knowledge.
Even though I am not some master builder, but just a guy with a camera and a website, it has been very gratifying to receive emails from all corners of the world from those who have found the information presented here to be a help.
Thank you for visiting.
As I was doing some spring cleaning the other day I came across this picture of me in 1986 holding a self-designed glider I called the "Seraphim".
I had drawn the plans, molded the fiberglass fuse and the coolest part of all? I used balsa that we cut down in the jungle, floated down a river, dried in the attic and sawed into boards ourselves!
Now that's scratch-building!
I have commandeered the other corner of my garage for the permanent installation of the machine. As you can see, the basic parts of the machine are assembled.
I still have to install the motors and electronics as well as a flat work surface to hold parts during machining - I'm thinking of making a vacuum table surface for the hold-down...
As detailed on this website, this sailplane features 100% custom construction - custom fuselage, custom tailboom, custom v-mount, hand-cut ribs, etc. It's been quite a journey!
I have finished a new Bubble Dancer, this time incorporating all the lessons learned while making my first one.
The biggest alteration to my build method involves the use of a whole-wing jig of my own design. The jig is simple to make, simple to use and best of all, allowed me to go from 1st rib down, to a completely Kevlar wrapped wing (all 5 panels) in less than 24 hours!
- Dec. 17, 2016: I moved to a new house in October and now need to re-establish my workshop... Hope to get back to things soon.
- Aug. 8, 2015: Added link to Norbert Roescher's e-BD build on home page.
- June 15, 2015: Added 1986 picture and CNC Machine update picture.
- March 6, 2015: Hard at work on various projects: Digital Modelling, CNC machine assembly, Helping son make a full-size pinball machine!
- Nov. 20, 2014: Added the plans for my custom Bubble Dancer fuselage pod to the Documents page.
- Nov. 12, 2014: Added a new Build Summary page.
- Nov. 9, 2014: I've re-built BD#1 as BD#1.5 - A quick write-up: "Bubble Dancer #1.5 - The rebuild" is posted on RC Groups...
- Aug. 10, 2014: Added new OneWinch page to the Tools Menu.
- Aug. 5, 2014: Added new Aircraft Summary page. 3 other new pages in progress - check back soon...
- June 8, 2014: First pictures BD #2... Added new Covering page.
- June 5, 2014: Added new Wing Joiners page and finished the Fin & Rudder and H. Stabilizer write-ups.
- April 7, 2014: Added Documents page to Wing Jig Build menu - just a few items at present...
- Jan. 21, 2014: New Bubble Dancer - Wing Jig Build Menu and submenu added. A year's worth of new content!
- 13 new pages - 249 new pictures